Friday, January 28, 2011

100% Unguaranteed Anti-Block #1

I'm reading a book on writing. I don't do this often. Most writer's guides take a "you must" approach. Lots of rules.

This one is no exception, and its a bit preachy, to boot.

I'm still reading because the book considers the problems writers encounter. That's right - problems. Like math, or physics.

How do you introduce a character? How do you get backstory across without boring the hell out of people? How much dialogue is too much? Or too little? When does reproducing a regional accent cross the threshold of annoyance?

The author gives her take on how other writers (none of whom are my favorites) solve these kinds of problems.

These solutions interest me only very little.

What does interest me is the problems themselves. If you can identify a problem, you can fix it. Next time you're blocked, try identifying one problem with your work (even if its only a little one). Then fix it. Now repeat.

Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment