Friday, January 21, 2011

Actually, I'm deadly serious

This is not one of those tongue in cheek things - you know what I mean. I'm not going to go all cutesy and parody common writing errors.

I have many failings. Cutesy isn't one of them.

There is some good writing of this type out there. My personal favorite is a comic called How to Avoid Making Art, by Julia Cameron. An added plus - you can read the whole book in, oh, let's say 10 minutes. Cuteness, like Bailey's, is acceptable only in small and infrequent doses.

If I knew about all those common writing errors, I'd stop making them. I don't know how to write a good novel. I'm not promising good. I'm promising what I can deliver.

If you somehow discover greatness of your own here, please take all the credit.

I'm assuming your current state of progress lies between complete paralysis and a few sputtered sketches or chapters. I can get you beyond this. That may not be much, but its what I've got.

Why bother writing a bad novel? Look, would you want your first girlfriend to be Angelina Jolie? Would you take Versailles as a starter home? Would you consider Secretary-General of the UN for your internship?

Of course not.

So strap on some training wheels. Set your expectations at low to abysmal.

That way, you and I may one day be able to dazzle each other with our adequacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment