Thursday, January 20, 2011

The last thing you MUST do...

....to write a bad novel.....is...... .....You MUST.....

5. Finish the God-Damn Thing.

I don't have a lot of tips on this one. I'm still struggling to bring my own ships into port.

Allow me to introduce the fleet:

1. Untold Stories

The odds on favorite to actually get finished, it stands at 79, 649 words - long enough to be a novel already. Not sure why I chose a working-class Austrian as my protagonist or why I made his Dad such a skunk. But I love this story.

And I would love to finish it. And I will. I really, really will.

2. Sickness and Health

The runner-up, length wise, at 38, 332 words

Tom, the main character, is a union lawyer. He's got the hots for a co-worker. She is, at least to all appearances, mentally, ah, ahem....(searching for polite words) unbalanced. But maybe Tom, who prides himself on having all his shit together, isn't as balanced as he thinks.

3. Before and After

Started 15 or so years ago. Yes, really. (Sigh.) Set in the afterlife. Yes, really, again. Some good scenes, but the plot is hip-deep in mud. Stalled at 28, 232 words, each of which flowed like blood.

Am I really writing a how-to for something I haven't done? I mean, how dare I?

Yesterday, I blithely told you (my dear and, so far as yet, non-existent, readers) to find your own "how," and your own "why." Remember?

That's what this blog is all about, for me. That, and high-octane procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment